On 07/26/2015 11:08 AM, Hendrik Boom wrote:

I also had a long discussion with some of the guys in charge of the
ADA project -- they really wanted the security that comes from
completely automatic storage management but they couldn't afford to
have their weapons systems stop for garbage collection,

I told them exactly what the trade-offs were -- too what extent they
could have their cake and eat it too.  In the end they decided that
they could afford neither the language complexity of the
garbage-collector-free storage management schemes, nor the garbage
collection delays.  I'm not sure to what extent they ended up avoiding
dynamically allocated storage in the first official language
definition.

ADA! I remember that! I've not used it in the better part of 20 years. Nicely designed language for its time - and very strict. Having learned C in advance of ADA, I never liked its Pascal style operators.

Too bad the only one who really uses it in the US is the government.

I think you can find the answer to your memory comment here, Hendrik. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ada_(programming_language)

T.J.