Le 19/08/2015 14:35, Svante Signell a écrit :
On Wed, 2015-08-19 at 12:03 +0200, Didier Kryn wrote:
Le 19/08/2015 01:37, Isaac Dunham a écrit :
On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 02:19:20PM +0200, Didier Kryn wrote:
Le 18/08/2015 12:49, Edward Bartolo a écrit :
At the moment I am stuck trying to use sudo to run ifup from within my
frontend.
      Just in case, here are a few things I know about wpa_supplicant:

       wpa_supplicant does ifups automatically when it connects to a wifi
station. If an interface name is not specified in wpa_supplicant.conf, in
the proper section of this station, it ifups the interface named "default".

      Therefore you shouldn't ifup yourself. You only need to fill the
configuration files, wpa_supplicant.conf, via the control socket and
interfaces by some method probably involving sudo.
I've not been able to figure out what that would look like.
Could you give a sample wpa_supplicant.conf and /etc/network/interfaces?

I only have /etc/network/interfaces populated:
auto ra0
iface ra0 inet dhcp
wpa-driver wext
wpa-ssid xxxxx
wpa-psk yyyyyy

And wpa_supplicant runs as:
/sbin/wpa_supplicant -s -B -P /run/wpa_supplicant.ra0.pid -i ra0 -D wext
-C /run/wpa_supplicant

    So you have wpa_supplicant started in daemon mode by init?

I don't know who invokes ifup wlan0 on my computer, and when; but I understand now that having it configured with the method "manual" causes all scripts in /etc/if-up.d to be executed, and one of them is /etc/wpa_supplicant/ifupdown.sh, which launches wpa_supplicant in daemon mode, like in your case, except it is not done by init.

I don't know what the wicd daemon is for. Does it manage Ethernet interfaces as well?

    Didier