On 29/08/2015 14:43, Rainer Weikusat wrote:
'su' is not a concept, it's a program.

 <grumble> Okay, let's clarify.
 A program is the implementation of an idea. The idea is often
unwritten or unspoken, or forgotten, and people will only refer
to the implementation; but good design always starts with the idea,
the concept, of what the program is supposed to do.

 When Lennart says "su is a broken concept", he's saying "the
concept behind the su program is not clear or well-defined, and
it was not a good idea to implement it"; and I agree with that.
(Then he naturally branches onto his NIH obsession and decides
that UNIX is bad and systemd must reinvent everything, which I
obviously disagree with.)

 As you're saying, the correct design is to separate the tasks
that the su program accomplishes, if one doesn't need a full-
environment root shell.
 But if a full-environment root shell is needed, logging in as
root works. That's exactly what the "login" _concept_ is.

Now, is

1. Build systems suck and git isn't exactly the greatest tool on the
    planet for working with more than one source tree, so lets add the
    code we want to write to systemd

2. goto 1

a concept?

 Of course it is! I'm surprised systemd-versioncontrol isn't a thing yet. XD

--
 Laurent