Le 06/11/2015 18:28, Simon Hobson a écrit :
I've done no measurements, but my "gut feeling" is that for the servers I
manage (and my OS X laptop), the limiting factor is disk I/O. Thus parallelising service
startup won't help much (if at all) because it just means all the services fire up and
take longer each to start. Eg, (as a simplification) if you have 10 services that take
10s each to start, then they'll take 100s total - starting them in parallel probably
means they'll all take 100s (give or take). All assuming no dependencies of course !

I am booting my servers, say, once per year, but my laptop at least twice per day. Booting a server takes long, for the reason Rainer says; I don't care much except when there's an issue I need to debug. For the laptop I definitely prefer to shut it down before I put it into my bag to take the metro.

On the servers I have more or less big RAIDs made of electro-mechanical disks; on my laptop an SSD. Disk access contention cannot be the same for SSD and electro-mechanical disks, specially when you only read.

And there is yet other categories of Linux devices: the embedded and hand-held...