Le 01/01/2016 21:47, Micky Del Favero a écrit :
years ago i've built a cluster of diskless servers that network booted
using a initramfs filesystem, it's not so obscure, I admit it wasn't
trivial to made the initramfs, but was simpler than you can think.

My experience is the same as yours :-) I compiled kernels for dedicated hardwares with all drivers and filesystems statically in kernel. The initramfs is used to configure the network and derive from the IP address where to find an NFS server. In case of problem, this initramfs turns to a live Linux OS with an interactive session on the console (thanks to Busybox!).