Didier Kryn writes:
I don't remember lpr can present you a list of printers, telling where they are, which kind of paper, page size and double-side they handle, if they're ready to print and if they're lacking ink. Not all of this actually works well in Cups, but at least it has this ambition.

Different lpr versions did have various bits of this. IIRC I wrote code to autodetect and support seven different versions of it, and didn't enjoy that task at all.

IPP is good, even if Cups isn't the best possible implementation.

Arnt