Hendrik Boom wrote on 27/08/16 08:52:
On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 08:45:35AM +1000, Ralph Ronnquist wrote:
 ..
3) Off hand I would say it would work, but on the other hand, afaik vdev is
still in beta state. And I don't know anything about rpi3. To try it out,
you should first make sure you can revert easily. But I haven't thought too
much about how to do that. In practice, vdev conflicts with udev, libudev1
and initramfs-tools, because it removes or overwrites files (/links) from
these.

It would be convenient from a user perspective, especially while we
are still testing, to be able to choose  udev or vdev at boot time,
perhaps as a kernel parameter.  But if the packages conflict to this
degree, I suppose there isn't much hope of it.

Agreed about convenience. Though without thinking too deep about it, it'd mean improving(?) both initramfs-tools and sysvinit (and alternatives) towards maintaining concurrent alternative initrd, and startup choice respectively. I'm sure it _could_ be patched into the vdev installation to provide a dynamic choice between it and a prior udev (for some systems), but I think it'd violate the package independence thought quite severely; much worse than it already does.

In the present incarnation, the rollback (not tested by me, though) from vdev to udev is (should be): remove vdev and libudev1-compat (and perhaps vdevd), then reinstall udev, libudev1, and initramfs-tools.