Quoting Alessandro Selli (alessandrose...@linux.com):

>   Not having to login as root to manually configure Xorg just to change
> video card or monitor was one of the best and most wanted improvements in
> Linux in the past 10 years.

I'm sure, but on the other hand, how often did that happen?  Extremely
seldom.

> Manual Xorg configuration is so tedious, time consuming and error
> prone that requiring users to be capable of it is just crazy.

Au contraire:  Even if you had nothing besides Xorg (or previously
XFree86) itself, in almost all cases you could just do 'Xorg -configure
> /etc/X11/Xorg.conf' and nothing else.  However, pretty nearly all
distributions provided even-easier X configurator tools.

Many long years ago during the XFree86 era, different chipset
necessitated installing individual X server packages, so, if you
switched cards, you often needed to not only reconfigure X but also
install a new X11 server package.  That was burdensome -- but, again,
how often do you wake up one morning and say 'I know!  I'm going to
install a different video card today!'  And that bit was ages ago.

Perspective, not just a dictionary word.