Le 06/10/2017 à 18:52, J. Fahrner a écrit :
Hi Didier,

Am 2017-10-06 18:36, schrieb Didier Kryn:
    If you aren't satisfied witht the current numbering of your
interfaces, there is a simple way to change the numbering:
    find the file /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net-rules. You will
see there is a line per known interface, containing notably its MAC
address (eg ATTR{address}=="e8:de:27:a8:14:e1") and the name it will
be given (eg NAME="eth0"). You can change the names and/or the MAC
addresses, but take care that a name or a MAC address doesn't appear
twice.

Thanks for that explanation. That explains my problems. My Thinkpad was replaced during repair and I installed my hard drive in the new device. The logic you described breaks some things, because of new MAC addresses the devices got new names.

That's a perfect example why renaming devices (to make them "stable") is not a good idea. Most consumer devices have not more than one ethernet card and one wireless card. So naming was already "stable". The new logic makes them unstable when you have to change devices on repair. But that's typical "behaviour" of systemd devs. :-(

If someone with more than one ethernet/wireless device needs stability, he can add udev rules manually. This should never be automatic!

I had the same problem this morning after replacing the OS disk on a server by a clone of the OS of another server. It contained already the Udev rules for the 4 interfaces of the other computer. But, in this case, stability is critical and the admin is acustomed to the trick :-)

I agree that interface renaming is only a disturbance in situations where there is at most one eth and one wlan, that is nearly every laptop.

            Didier