Redis, for sure, is one of the most used in memory datastore, a good cache system like memcache but more flexible when you have to store real data and a standard SQL database is not fast enough: one common example of application, is to store the authentication tokens in a clustered web server environment. Maybe it is one of the most powerful component used in almost every online system.

In my company we have a cluster of 12 devuan nodes with redis managed by sentinel: yes, it is used. And, as someone else said, no it is not a system tool.

Also, just a curiosity: Redis project started by an Italian guy which is also in the VUA group.

Alberto