On 07/11/17 17:41, dev wrote:

On 11/07/2017 10:29 AM, John Hughes wrote:
On 07/11/17 17:13, Klaus Ethgen wrote:
[ separate / and /usr ] is the best way to keep your /usr flexible to
further lvm grows for example.
Personally I have a / on a lvm2 volume.  Works OK for me, I see no loss
in flexibility.
Until a user fills up their home directory with kitten gifs and you can
no longer login because syslog has no space to write to /var.

Neither /home not /var are on /, for obvious reasons.  / is for mostly-static things that are owned by the OS or the admin.

The separation of / and /usr is a relic of really, really tiny disk sizes.