On 20/11/17 14:08, zap wrote:

On 11/20/2017 04:08 AM, John Hughes wrote:

Firmware is required, which can be provided by installing the firmware-atheros <https://packages.debian.org/firmware-atheros> package. Open firmware <https://wiki.debian.org/ath9k_htc/open_firmware> for this driver is also available in the firmware-ath9k-htc <https://packages.debian.org/firmware-ath9k-htc> package starting from Buster.

Wrong again. Trisquel, parabola, hyperbola... all have one thing in common, they use a completely blob free version of debian's non-free firmware version.  my complaint was that debian refuses to use that version so that I can use the dongle without having to use the blobs from the non-free area.

You are claiming that the package firmware-ath9k-htc contains non-free firmware or that it doesn't work on your dongle?