On 17/01/18 23:00, jacksprat wrote:
Thanks for the replies.  When I run the "spectre-meltdown-checker.sh" script [github.com/speed47 <http://github.com/speed47>] I see that even using a recent kernel [4.15-rc8] only Meltdown is covered.

The two mitigations for Spectre [IBRS or kernel compiled with "retpoline" option with a retpoline-aware compiler] are harder for me to achieve.  The latter requires a retpoline-aware version of gcc - did anyone try to make one?  Even then, it seems I need "reptoline-aware" versions of things like Firefox.

If my understanding is correct, IBRS is just effectively a microcode implementation providing the same outcome as a retpoline (but theoretically slightly faster). In both cases you still need the compiler and resulting compiled binaries to support the feature. Just applying the microcode to enable the IBRS instructions isn't going to do anything without the supporting code.