On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 13:55:47 -0500, Hendrik wrote in message
<20180124185547.ga30...@topoi.pooq.com>:

> > > if you have an rpi3, you should use the rpi3 which is an arm64.

> > > decompress and then dd...
>
> I started with the devuan raspi3 image under devuan_jessie/embedded
> on http://files.devuan.org.  The machine is a raspbrry pi 3B.
>
> On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 07:09:39PM -0500, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> >
> > Worked like a charm.  Now I have a very minimal text console.  I
> > know where to go from here.  My wife has commandeered the HDMI
> > television for the evening.  I'll get on with it tomorrow morning.
>
> Turns out I dont know where to go from here.  Yes, use apt-get to
> install what I want.  But apt-get needs a network connection.
>
> As a temporary measure I can use a wired connection, but my ethernet
> switches have disappeared during the move to my new apartment, and as
> a result I have to shut off wifi whenever I do this.   The rest of
> the family complains.
>
> So what tools are there in the minimal installed raspberry pi devuan
> jessie to activate wifi?

..setnet.sh? AKA setnet:
arnt@d44:~$ dpkg -l |grep setnet |fmt -tu
ii setnet 0.3.2+devuan1.2 all simple shell/dialog tool to configure
   networks
arnt@d44:~$

> Even with lxde installed, its network manager tool doesn't seem to be
> able to find wifi -- presumably some infrastructure is missing.
>
> man -k wifi didn't help.  Presumably there's no relevant package
> installed.  If it were it would probably be working and I wouldn't be
> looking for it.

..ugh, I hear you, and I was lucky with my rpi1Bv1s and came here
to devuan because of Debian SystemD ways of messing up wifi ETC on
my laptops, so I'm not much help here, unless setnet.sh helps you.

..tried sticking in your old Raspian card and running "dpkg \
--get-selections >gotten-selections-$(date +%F+%T+%Z) "?

..allows e.g. "cat gotten-selections-2018-01-25+01:04:08+CET \
|dpkg --set-selections ", details in "dpkg --help".

..and "dpkg -l |less " is a little less terse than "dpkg \
--get-selections ".

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: