Thanks, that appears to have fixed it.

I did see one apt warning during package configuration of eudev, but I’m hoping
that’s related to having the symlink in place and is ok to ignore for the
moment.

It’s on the last line of the apt output:

Setting up eudev (3.2.2-10) ...
insserv: script udev: service eudev already provided!

  Warning: eudev will default to the older network
  interface names, such as eth0 or wlan0. If you use
  the new names, such as enp0s3, you will need to add
  the following to the boot command:
                net.ifnames=1

update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
insserv: script udev: service eudev already provided!
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.130) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.9.0-5-amd64
W: APT had planned for dpkg to do more than it reported back (0 vs 4).
   Affected packages: eudev:amd64

Thanks for all your help

—Tom