Rick Moen <r...@linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> Quoting wirelessd...@gmail.com (wirelessd...@gmail.com):
>
>> Seeing all the rage against non-PS printing here recently, I’m
>> wondering how PCL compares? Is it better/worse/equal to PostScript? Is
>> there any reason to prefer one over the other?
>
> PCL printing is generally faster.  In vague outline, it is less capable.
> (Both printing languages are old enough that there have been multiple
> versions, especially true of PCL.)

It's a very long time since I last looked at PCL, but I recall it was rather
horrible to work with. As I mentioned earlier, you can do tricks in Postscript
like redefining the showpage operator (typically by just adding the right code
to the beginning of the file/stream) to automatically do something to every
page. But in PCL you can't - you'd have to go through the file finding every
page feed, and adding PCL code before each instance.
PC is also (IIRC) resolution dependent, so you don't get the "write once, print
on any printer" capability of PS. And it's full of non-printing characters
(escape sequences, form feed, and so on) while PS is (IIRC) supposed to be
"7bit channel safe" and contain only printable characters (though I think it
can handle 'binary' files for machine generated code).

It's hardly surprising that PCL is faster on any given hardware - it does a lot
less as the code generator effectively has to do a lot of work that's done in
the printer (or to be pedantic, the RIP*) with PS. As I say, it's a long time
since I last looked at PCL, but IIRC you have to do graphics using resolution
dependent co-ordinates - while with PS, you can use the default units of points
(1/72nd of an inch) or it's trivial to rescale things and use any scale you
want in your code. In fact, you can tell PS to apply an arbitrary
transformation matrix to everything.
All this ability means (potentially) a lot more processing - so it's bound to
take longer on the same hardware.

> The ideal printer is a networked model that does both.

Indeed, especially to deal with the software written by vendors with a "nothing
exists other than PCL" attitude - grrrrr.

* Raster Image Processor - converts the input job into a raster to send to the
print engine. They are mostly built into the printer, but in many high end
systems can be a separate unit. One I've worked with was basically a PC running
Electronics For Imaging's proprietary RIP software and with an interface card
for Canon's colour copiers - back in the days when such things were fairly new
and very high end, and it was possible to spend more on the printer setup than
it cost to buy some houses !