I've encounteredseveral problems while trying to install Ascii. - failure to
detect CD-rom drive (intermittent).- failure-to-mount partitions – which caused
bizzare behavior whileusing the Graphical install.(once). (the failure-to-mount
problemmigrated to the next drive on the next pass for several
partitions).)BTW, screen shots taken during Graphical mode do not appear to
bepreserved after installation.- debootstrap problem indicating not a clean
disk. Reformatting didnot help-(on that install pass). (once).- the install
process, just before finishing, dumped me out into aTTY1 terminal. (once.)-
after 'successful' install, the system runs extremely slowly. (wicdwindow took
~18 seconds to open.)(consistent failure).- wicd does not find any access
points. (consistent failure).
I began to suspect that something was wrong with the netinstall.isoUSB thumb
drive even though the sha256sum is always correct. Isuspected that the data
rate might have something to do with theproblem. I burned the netinstall.iso to
a 128GB USB 3.0 thumb drive.I was sure that it was fast enough to keep the USB
2.0 bus saturated,and that this might make the USB device driver happy(er).I
have now done nine installs without error. It appears that the USBdata stream
is being corrupted and without always crashing the systemin the process. Could
it be that data under-runs or other speedrelated problems, are causing
unexpected behavior of the devicedriver?I would like to look into this more
deeply but I don't know yet howto break into debug mode, or to just look at
/var/log/syslog at thepoint of failure to help identify the problem(s). Any
help would beappreciated. Still learning. Feel free to contact me off list.
The issues surrounding the use of FAT partitions are explained in aprevious
post but the jist is this:- partman does not offer a force-format option for
FAT partitions.This means that the only way to (re-)format a FAT partition is
tochange the fs type. BTW, if you don't format a FAT partition duringthe
install process, partman will scan it and declare an "uncorrectederrors found”
error. I don't know what this means or how it mightaffect the installation
process later on if left uncorrected. - partman's resize option for FAT
partitions does not work correctlyin all cases. The workaround is to change it
to an ext(i) fs type,resize it as desired, and then change it back to a FAT fs.
This, ofcourse, causes a format operation.

Thanks for devuan.