[..]

> Here is where you can make a valuable contribution: If you happen to
> have a spare Devuan (Jessie|ASCII) or a Debian (Jessie|Stretch)
> desktop machine (virtual or hardware) that you feel brave enough to
> sacrifice for testing the upgrade paths - please do so! Ideally, you
> should report any irregularities you encounter in this thread. The
> main observation focus should be set on session related functionality,
> especially the ability to user mount removable drives and to restart
> or shutdown the machine using the controls offered by the respective
> desktop environment.

I upgraded from Devuan jessie to Devuan ascii last week without
problems.  However, after upgrading system shutdown from the XFCE menu
did not work any more.  Shutting down manually via the linux console
('halt') did work.  However during shutdown it then complained something
about crypto disks not being stopped (running encrypted root with lvm).

Now after reading this email I just ran another round of 'apt-get update
&& apt-get dist-upgrade' and things look a little better now: shutdown
via xfce menu works, however, during shutdown it does not show any of
the shutdown messages any more, so I cannot verify whether crypto disk
unmounting works any better now.

cheers,

David
--
GnuPG public key: http://dvdkhlng.users.sourceforge.net/dk2.gpg
Fingerprint: B63B 6AF2 4EEB F033 46F7  7F1D 935E 6F08 E457 205F