From: KatolaZ <kato...@freaknet.org>
 To: dng@lists.dyne.org
 Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 5:06 PM
 Subject: Re: [DNG] Unable to "Load missing firmware from removable media"

On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 06:18:12PM +0000, dan pridgeon wrote:

[cut]

> Thanks.  At this point in my investigation, I would like to know which
> version of B43 is loaded by netinst.iso.  tty4 shows that B43 is loaded and
> is requesting
> b43/ucode13.fw or b43-open/ucode13.fw.  From my searches so far, the error -2
> is not an error, but a message that means it can't find those files.  It also
> appears that netinst.iso is looking for them on the ramfs/initramfs and is
> not looking on the
> removable media.  I would like to know how to get to the source code for the
> module that's putting up the messages on tty4 so I can study it and find out
> what's really
> going on.  While this may be a somewhat rare problem, it is quite  old
> problem and
> only the ucodeXX.fw value changes in the error -2 messages.  While I now know
> howto fix the C700 at this point, I think the netinst.iso code needs to be
> looked at.
> How do I determine which source code I should be studying?  I assume its on
> gethub somewhere.  Thanks for any help.

Dan, you don't need to study any code, IMHO. b43-fwcutter works by
*extracting* the needed firmware from the Windows driver. So you need
the Windows driver for your wifi card, use b43fwcutter on it, get the
files, and put them under /firmware.

Please look online for confirmations. I had to do that at least a
couple of times in the past. I guess the procedure has not changed
much, if at all.

HTH

KatolaZ

I'm trying to identify why the netinst.iso does not work the way it's written.
Live knoppix goes straight to the network. No problems.  If there is a way to
capture the tty4 screen at the point of install failure, I Could show what it's
asking for, I've learned how to unpack the .fw files from the wl driver, and
other .o files,  and where to put them (after the machine is booted). I would
like to do what netinst tells me to do, put the file requested (extracted on a
separate machine) on some removable media, place that media Into the machine
and Continue the install process. There is no /lib/firmware/  path available at
that early point in the install. There is a /firmware directory on the
netinst.iso usb drive but all the files there are .deb files; not what netinst
is asking for. (Is netinst expecting a .deb file?)  The process should be
seamless once the requested file has been extracted. And, as has been noted,
there's tons of instructions on how to do the extraction, most having to do
with Ubuntu, but that's not a problem. One poster stated explicitly that
netinst was looking for the file on the ramdisk, not the removable media. That
would account for the observed symptoms. There appears to be no way to modify
the install process in mid-stream.  It is not possible to mount another usb
drive with the needed file(s). (Even tho the /dev/sdc shows up on the tty4
screen. Mount fails.)  The is no way to mount/re-mount  -rw the install usb
drives so as to redirect terminal content into a file there for sharing.  tty4
does not support scrollback at that point so you can't see everything prior to
the point of failure.
Thanks for any input...