I installed Jessie on a new disk on a new machine. I can boot it from
the GRUB menu on another disk on that machine, but when I try to boot
the new disk directly, all I get is a blinking cursor at upper left.
Holding down SHFT or ESC during post did not bring up its menu.

I tried redoing # update-grub.

I find that /boot/grub/grub.cfg has a fully developed menu in which is:

  set root='hd0,mddos2'.

This seems correct. BIOS sees this disk as number 0. In \ is a vmlinuz
symlink that points to the vmlinuz file in a broken out /boot.

Parted print shows partition 1 to be primary and flagged
bootable. Partition 2 is also primary.

It seems that one way to display the menu is to change to these values in
these lines in /etc/default/grub to:

    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=10
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=false

in /etc/default/grub, but these lines do not appear and what I have
instead is:

    GRUB_DEFAULT=0
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=5

Haines Brown