On Tue, 5 Jun 2018 09:22:46 +0300, Lars wrote in message
<26f8aa1d-718c-5cdf-7fda-3afbb0fbe...@gmail.com>:

> On 06/04/2018 11:45 PM, KatolaZ wrote:

> >> While I am no fan of MS and it's tactics, they didn't steal DOS.
> >> They bought it outright for what the person selling it accepted as
> >> a fair price. It's an interesting story of how one decision
> >> changed the direction of the software world, and one of those
> >> points in history where with the benefit of 20:20 hindsight it's
> >> easy to say "he did WHAT !"
> >
> > You are right: they "bought" DOS from a "third party" which had
> > developed DOS out of an unlicensed source version of Digital
> > Research CP/M, and called it MS-DOS.
>
> I had a vague recollection that M$ had to resettle over the price
> because the initial $75K turned out to be a rip-off.  I cannot find
> anything specific to the resettlement.  However, here are two decent
> articles about the origins of MS-DOS
>
> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2004-10-24/the-man-who-could-have-been-bill-gates
>
> https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/print-edition/2015/05/01/microsoft-bought-tim-paterson-s-dos-for-75k-the.html

..interesting, so Gary Kildall died at the ripe old age of 52, "after
falling in a tavern", "he had become embittered and struggled with
alcohol", in 1994, when enough case law on intellectual property had
made filing a lawsuit and getting court orders on infringement etc,
possible and viable.
Sounds familiar, "we learn something new, every day."

..try searching your vague recollections at http://groklaw.net/ ,
we dug up a _lot_ of crazy old bat shit crazy stuff.

> I'm not sure why M$ bought GitHub other than, based on their M.O., it
> provides some means to hurt their competitors.  Remember that nearly
> all of the major projects stored in GitHub are competitors to M$ and
> now M$ will have access to that code.

..my guess is they want personal ID data on all GPL etc developers for
"Endlösung" litigation, M$ spent 11 years and US $4G+ learning going-
after-IBM-etc-angry-big-boys-with-angry-big-pockets-does-not-work,
small mom&pop shops are much, much, much easier to push over and down
the drain, because we cannot afford the average US $3M settlement.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: