On Sun, Jun 10, 2018 at 10:05:48AM +0200, Didier Kryn wrote:
> Le 10/06/2018 à 04:01, Haines Brown a écrit :

> >>You probably want to set this partition to unused (or whatever it's
> >   called, it's a looong time since I last did this) so that it doesn't
> >   appear in the mount point table (eventually in fstab of the new
> >   install). I think what you are telling it is that you want sda1 to
> >   mounted as / IN THIS INSTALLATION and that then clashes with your new
> >   / (on sdc) that you're trying to install to.

>     In the partitionner (which is not only a partitionner, but generates the
> fstab and the filesystems), you should select "dont use the partition" on
> every partition which is not in sdc. Click on "use partition  as"  and
> select  "dont use the partition".

Didier, that seems to have done the trick. I apologize for having been
too hasty. Where the partitioner asks what to use a partition as, because
the top options were simply file systems, I interpreted it to be merely
for selecting file system and did not notice the "don't use" option at
the bottom. When I marked sda partitions not to be used, I was able to
save the sdc partition table and proceed with the installation.

Now that installation of ascii 2.0 on sdc is underway and before going
further I must figure out how to recover a use of partitions on sda. I
assume that were I to use the menu to revert to partitioning and restore
usage of sda partitions I'll just end up with the same problem of a
competition of sda and sdc for use of /.

When I execute a shell toward the end of installation, can I use it to
run the command "parted /dev/sda set 1 boot on" both to enable sda1 and
to make it bootable at the same time? Would the command "parted /dev/sda
set 2 on" simply re-enable the second partition? I found the parted
manual unclear on this point.

Haines