On Wed, 20 Jun 2018 16:36:26 +0100, Antony wrote in message
<201806201636.26513.antony.st...@devuan.open.source.it>:

> On Wednesday 20 June 2018 at 16:27:19, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 20 Jun 2018 12:21:21 +0200, Adam wrote in message
> >
> > <20180620102121.flczbaznhl3mh...@angband.pl>:

> > > And more importantly, userland packages are built using 686
> > > instructions. Replacing or using an old kernel is trivial,
> > > rebuilding the world is not.
> >
> > ..i386, i486 or i586 kernels can now chew i686 userland?
> > I could believe it can build them from source.
>
> No, I think Adam's point was that if you have a 686 kernel on a 386
> machine, replacing it for a 386 kernel is easy (relatively speaking),
> but if you have the complete system binaries and libraries built for
> 686 on a 386 machine, replacing that lot is basically a re-install.

..true, and can easily be neccessary for people stuck with their old
rig after their new rig dies deep in the jungle, at sea etc without
easy access to replacement hardware.

> > ..do we have "world rebuilder" software or scripts that can find
> > "wrong arch userland", fetch its source package, "rebuild this
> > part of the world" and install it, and optionally upload it to
> > "a community upload mirror site"?  Might help speed up things...
>
> I think if anyone runs into the problem that they've installed a 686
> binary or library onto a 386 machine, they'll have installed
> hundreds, so the machine is unlikely to be able to claw its own way
> out of the hole.

..true, the proper way would be put the claw-yer-way-outta-that-hole
script on a rescue image with all arch kernels and debootstraps.

> Better to try having a check in the installer to say "the
> architecture you selected will not run on this hardware - do yoou
> really want to continue?" (which you might do, for example, if you're
> installing a system onto a disk which is going to go into another
> machine...)

...or porting things to a new or an unsupported architecture.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: