Le 21/06/2018 à 09:37, Martin Steigerwald a écrit :
 From what I learned and read over the years, just about any other CPU
architecture other than than x86 is both conceptually and technically
more sound than x86.

I started with C-64 (6510) and Amiga (68000 up to 68060, then PowerPC)
computers. All three have a quite clean and simple machine code from
what I can tell. You could even see it in assembly listings. Granted
6510 is quite limited with amount of registers, but simple and clean it
is. Also regarding software: AmigaOS was so beyond MS-DOS and early
Windows stuff that was available on IBM-PC compatibles that I could
start with a long, long list about what was better. Just about
everything like true multi tasking, a hard disk partitioning scheme that
actually made some sense instead of the MBR crap, multimedia before the
word for it was born… you name it.

For whatever reason one of the CPU worst architectures and operating
systems became standard. And from what I know the CPU architecture still
carries most of the crap of the older days after Intel failed with
Itanium AFAIK mostly for compatibility reasons as Windows did not run on
it initially. So AMD continued the crap with a compatible 64-Bit
standard, that Intel also adopted.

Our current standard computers are built on a mountain of legacy crap.

    I started with Motorolla's 6809, around 1981. For the first time there was a cpu which allowd indexed addressing of instructions, which provides native capability for PIC. Microware (not Microsoft!) delivered OS9, based on that, in which the C compiler produced PIC by default.

    Apple built their personal computers, even before the first MacIntosh, around Motorolla's 6800 family. This was the time IBM realized they were about to loose the leadership in computers because of personal computers. They decided to buid their own and hired a manufacurer, Intel, which was the competitor of Motorolla and a crappy software maker.

I follow RISC-V progress and I really like to buy a laptop with
something like that.

Seeing what happens in Computer hardware space, I say:

It is time for true excellence again.

    Let's hope (-:

            Didier