On 10.07.18 10:37, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 17:46:46 +1000
> Erik Christiansen <dva...@internode.on.net> wrote:
>
> > Ego drives young men to reinvent the wheel, then declaim "mine is
> > grand, and I deprecate (piss on) the old."

> To make your statement true, you would have needed the word "some"
> before "young".

No, that is not so. There is no "all" in the sentence, so it only
presents one set, not the universal set of all young men. Do not feel
bad about taking umbrage over misinterpretation resulting from a
baseless inference. It is human to make mistakes.

> To make it a complete articulation of the truth, you'd
> have needed to say "and some young men and some women too."

Very comical. PC (political constipation) extremism is rarely more
fanciful. But treating your suggestion as serious for a moment, it
introduces untruth, as I have not experienced any women ego-tripping on
a deprecation adventure, displacing established tools, rather than
supporting and developing a community's infrastructure.

> If you deduce that I'm bothered by this, you're right: I think
> inter-generational sniping obscures the issues.

It is evident that some emotion was triggered by my opinion on an aspect
of the issue of established tools in wide use being replaced rather than
maintained. We all tend (in my experience and reading) to be tribal in
our perceptions, and sensitive to perceived affront to our group by
another.

But it's not just toolsets which fall victim to the ambition of a new
generation lacking in consideration for the established community and
its knowledge base. I remember vividly how OO and C++ was touted as the
only way to code, even in embedded systems. Some attentive listening
to the vociferous proponents quickly revealed that the "new paradigm"
had one vital quality - it provided the new bucks a pretext for
advancing their careers by displacing the proven methods used to date.

Deprecation is in my view no substitute for espousing any user
advantages a new tool might offer. The first article linked upthread
seemed devoid of such substance. Alessandro's post provides some reasons
for changing tools, but the netstat/nstat comparison seems pointless
because it only deals with the one narrow task performed by nstat
- something I've never used netstat for. Of more substance is ifconfig
not reporting all dropped packets, except that the new categories are
just kernel discards of unwanted junk, so I'm not sure that I don't
prefer reporting of dropped real traffic instead. That ifconfig won't
configure two IP addresses on one interface suits me fine - I don't
either.

It's becoming hard to find any substance in the deprecation - at least
so far.

Erik