On Thu, 26 Jul 2018 13:17:21 +0200
Irrwahn <irrw...@freenet.de> wrote:

> Hendrik Boom wrote on 26.07.2018 12:35:
> > On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 06:50:43PM +0200, Irrwahn wrote:
> >> Hendrik Boom wrote on 25.07.2018 17:59:
> >> [cut]
> >>
> >> Hi Hendrik,
> >>

> What's more, I'd
> go even further and say I wouldn't mind at all if every daemon
> package came with support for all init systems in current use
> (rc-style sysv|openrc, runit, ... , systemd), as that would make
> switching init systems in an already installed system much, much less
> of a pain in the rear. Why would I care about a few dozen tiny
> innocuous unused files on a system that per default install is
> already cluttered with literally thousands of files I'm never going
> to use in any way.

I write my own daemons. There may come a time when I put a free
software license on one of them and distribute it to the world. If I
did so, I might (or might not) include the runit run script I use to
run it. If I were feeling particularly nice that day, I might also
supply an s6 run script, because s6 run scripts are almost 1 to 1
translations from runit.

But there's no way I'd ever take the time to supply facilities for
startup in sysvinit, OpenRC, systemd or busybox. **Not my job!**

> That'd be what I'd call "init freedom". It's very unlikely to happen
> in the foreseeable future though, as it would require cooperative
> effort of hundreds of individuals to include and maintain those init
> support files in the respective packages.

Now it sounds like you're talking about something else. It now sounds
like you're talking about a group of init experts making startup
facilities for programs using various inits. This is a good idea. A
systemd unit file, or an s6 or runit run script offer excellent
documentation for how to configure the application for just about any
init system.

<rant>
sysvinit and OpenRC typically have init scripts tens or hundreds of
lines, making init integration of an application seem like an arcane
art. What are they thinking? IMHO these immense and unfathomable init
scripts are what opened the door for systemd.
</rant>

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author: The Key to Everyday Excellence