Hi,

I recently updated an old (former) Debian system from Devuan
jessie to ascii.

As it turns out, its MySQL database still had a root password
in the (very) old format, which isn't accepted by MariaDB. The
upgrade routine doesn't handle that problem, leading to followup
errors.

I had to manually start MariaDB with --skip-grant-tables,
update mysql.user with a root password using the new hash format,
and then complete the dist-upgrade.

 > update mysql.user set Password = password('admin_pw') where User = 'root'
 > and Host = 'localhost';
 > flush privileges;

No other major problems on a system with over 1500 installed
packages (ok, insserv reenabled dependency based boot without
asking, but that unexpectedly didn't break anything).

Good work on that release!

Alex.