Hello to everyone,

I am trying to build a devuanized version of the debian
security-tracker, but I have strayed very far from my skills base!
Give or take a few untidy loose ends inherited from the
debian oldoldstable and lts sections of the Makefile, the security
database appears to build ok with devuan variables. I can confirm this
in principle by cursory examination of a text file dump of the contents;
as this file is >300Mb, this is hopelessly inadequate, but so
far, so good.

However, the process is halting at the creation of the python server.
The problem is the same in 4 environments, and is the same with ordinary
user and root privileges:

1) a headless 'dist-upgraded' ascii environment,
2) a chrooted 'minbase' ascii environment and
3) a chrooted 'minbase' debian stretch environment
4) a desktop machine running a 'dist-upgraded' ascii,

Specifically, the process hangs during the
SocketServer process:

^CTraceback (most recent call last):
  File "tracker_service.py", line 1773, in <module>
    TrackerService(socket_name, db_name).run()
  File "../lib/python/web_support.py", line 840, in run
    self.server.serve_forever()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/SocketServer.py", line 231, in serve_forever
    poll_interval)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/SocketServer.py", line 150, in _eintr_retry
    return func(*args)
KeyboardInterrupt

The problem can be reproduced with this command

$ python -m SimpleHTTPServer

Serving HTTP on 0.0.0.0 port 8000 ...
^CTraceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/runpy.py", line 174, in _run_module_as_main
    "__main__", fname, loader, pkg_name)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/runpy.py", line 72, in _run_code
    exec code in run_globals
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/SimpleHTTPServer.py", line 235, in <module>
    test()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/SimpleHTTPServer.py", line 231, in test
    BaseHTTPServer.test(HandlerClass, ServerClass)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/BaseHTTPServer.py", line 610, in test
    httpd.serve_forever()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/SocketServer.py", line 231, in serve_forever
    poll_interval)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/SocketServer.py", line 150, in _eintr_retry
    return func(*args)
KeyboardInterrupt

Has anyone any experience of whether these commands work/have worked
'out of the box' for them in an ascii installation?  I cannot find any
posts online that report any problems with the module, so I am assuming
it is unique to me, unless someone has reproduced it on a different
ascii machine.

Ideas and insights or workarounds would be very welcome.

Many Thanks

leloft