On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 09:31:01AM +0200, Jaromil wrote:

[cut]

> Me and many other Devuan developers agree with the good reasoning. I
> also share Martin's optimism on what we can do.
>
> To start with, our Devuan project has always prioritised ARM support,
> something visible from the many specific hardware targets we already
> cover, one of the biggest innovations we brought to Debian, often
> overlooked by journalists reviewing our distro.
>
> CenturionDan has also plans to setup a PPC build farm soon.
>
> At Dyne we have done many projects involving ARM board deployements
> and we have more planned in the future, also acting as mentors for
> European startups. In these endeavours we recommend use of open
> hardware (boards that have no closed-source firmware blobs) which
> restricts the choice to a few ARM boards.
>
> This brings us close to antagonize the Intel lobby that pollutes the
> European Commission. Sadly enough, those who race against this giant
> have not united in solidarity, nor we have constituted our own lobby.
>
> To conclude, I believe the pressure cannot be built by consumers, as
> someone also mentions in the thread, but by industrial players in the
> field of innovation and by policy analysts and lobbyists at a more
> political layer.
>
> My wish is that strong industrial players like ARM understand how
> valuable could be to ally with us and a few others in the open source
> world.

I agree with most of the arguments, but the last: unfortunately, not
even ARM is a "good player", as also indicated by the recent debacle
of pseudo-facts and plain lies against RISC-V from ARM Holdings. It's
true that there is more than one producer providing ARM
implementations, but they have to pay millions in royalties to ARM
Holdings, which effectively decides the specs.

The result is that there is not much around apart from Atmel,
Broadcom, Marvel, Qualcomm, TI, and a few more. And they have more
interest in finding their own little ARM niche than in lobbying to
drive things in a direction or another.

I still really hope in RISC-V, which is something we should probably
push more concretely (if we only had one RISC-V build host to start
building a Devuan port...).

The main issue here is that chip production is pretty much material
(in contrast to software development), and depends on technology that
is not easily affordable by small entities or by cooperatives of
users.

But everything changes. Only ten years ago 3D printing at home was
more or less science fiction [*] :)

HND

KatolaZ

[*] But we must admit that a cleanroom and an ion implantation system
is not something you can easily build in your own loft as yet...