KatolaZ - 02.09.18, 09:34:
> Am 2018-09-02 02:27, schrieb Hendrik Boom:
> > > If I'm away from home and post using my mobile, I still often want
> > > the reply to go to my home site, which is *not* in the cloud.
> >
> > But then, I assume, it is not a freemail address.
> >
> > Nowadays lots of spam is sent through freemailers using a disposable
> > email address and a reply-to to a different freemail address. Since
> > you cannot block the whole google and yahoo mail servers, the only
> > way to reject such spam is by the reply-to header.
>
> That's not actually the only way to reject such spam, just a very weak
> one. You should instead allow emails that come genuinely from a
> trusted mailing list (e.g., by looking at the Received: and List-*
> headers), since this list is restricted to confirmed subscribers.

I did not see any of such freemail with different Cc spam in the recent
time. I don´t know what part of my current spam filter setup nukes those
or whether some systems actually attempt to relay such mails to my
mailserver currently… but for me Postscreen and rspamd work so
remarkably well that I see no need to add broad own filter rules.

There was some "image editing" kind of spam on Linux kernel mailing
lists that slipped through. But it came from almost any random host and
for some reason rspamd did not yet learn to nuke them all. My current
setup may be part of the reason. Postscreen is already so efficient that
rspamd does not receive many spam mails to learn something. Basically
99% of all mails rspamd still receives it considers to be legitimate
mail. I have read suggestions to just let rspamd handle it all from a
reliable source – Heinlein Support in Germany… IMO they *know* how mail
works. I may try this out once I migrated everything to a new 64-bit
Devuan based server VM from the current 32-bit Debian server VM.

I sometimes add a rule for some misconfigured mail server or a Windows
box that has been taken over by something in case it insists to send the
same crap to my mailserver with repeatedly. Or I blacklist senders that
only send things I am not interested in reading even when it is
legitimate mail. On Linux kernel mailing lists and elsewhere there are
some people who insist of posting the same strange crap *despite*
everybody ignoring it. Sometimes I make the rules a little bit broader,
but then I accept that the risk of false positives is all *mine*.

Anyway in summary: IMO spam filtering is mostly a *solved* problem.
Without using any broad custom made filter rules.

Thanks,
--
Martin