On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 08:37:12AM +0100, Jaromil wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Nov 2018, Linux O'Beardly wrote:
>
> >    I don't want to be "that American," so I'm writing to ask: will this
> >    conference will be done primarily in English or another language?
>
> it will be entirely in english. Also in Amsterdam you can be reassured
> everyone speaks and understands english. the announce contains some
> spelling mistakes that may suggest otherwise :^) and that's entirely
> my fault to rush it out.

I used to live in Amsterdam; everyone spoke English at the slightest
provocation.  I tried hard to avoid so provoking them because I
was trying to relearn my mostly forgotten native language, Dutch.

Well, some exceptions.  Young children may not.  Though I did meet some
five-year-olds who were learning German from the German edition of
Sesame Street.

And I once met a German tourist who didn't speak either English or
Dutch.

-- hendrik