Le 18/02/2019 à 20:04, J. Fahrner via Dng a écrit :
Am 2019-02-18 18:45, schrieb Didier Kryn:
    If you reject the software because you distrust the author, try
netplug intead, or write your own. The function is the same: react to
plugging/unplugging the Ethernet cable. I dunno how these daemons get
notified, but they do, and configure/deconfigure your interface.
That's what they do and what they're supposed to do. I never tried
netplug, but I guess it invokes ifup/ifdown, just like ifplugd.
Alternatively, you can also invoke ifup/ifdown by hand (-:

I don't think there is any advantage to work around the dhcpdiscover boot delay by using daemons that bring up networking later. Several init scripts (like ntpd) rely on networking and have a dependency on this. Now when we bypass it, they simply fail and try later. This is not a clean concept.

    The only way to work around the dhcpdiscover delay is to configure the interface statically. But this isn't the issue here.

    The delay we are dealing with is the delay until a person eventually plugs a network cable into the computer. If ifup is invoked at start-up in the absence of a carrier, it will give up after some delay and the boot process can proceed. Not only this causes a delay, but then nothing will bring automagically the interface when the cable is plugged in, you will need to invoke ifup/ifdown manually, restart networking, or even reboot.

    The solution is to not bring up automatically the ethernet interface when you don't know if there is a carrier - which avoids the boot delay, and have a daemon which will do it when there is a carrier - which avoids rebooting after plugging the cable.

    dhcpdiscover is the very last step; it is invoked after alll the preceding has succeeded.

       Didier