Hi Edward,

On 15/5/19 13:10, Edward Bartolo via Dng wrote:
Hi Aitor,

I, like many other Devuan users, hope that the last crises is over and
that it will never happen again. The purpose of replying to your
thread is to ask why you are rewriting the backend from the very
beginning.
I started rewriting the backend from the very begining due to some failures in the connection status systray icon and also in the connection attempts. But i started again rewriting it from scratch due to a wrong approach. Today i pushed to gitlab the client/server unix socket, and I'm happy with the result.

You can test it running the server in a secondary plane:

$ ./server &

and running the client below:

$ ./client

getting the info about the network connection status at every second, something like this:

Connected to wlp1s0
DEVICE_TYPE=Wireless
IP Address=192.168.0.10
BROADCAST=192.168.0.255
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
PROTOCOL=IEEE 802.11
ESSID=Euskaltel-58YA
QUALITY=94%

Have a look at the server side:

https://git.devuan.org/aitor_czr/simple-netaid/blob/master/backend_src/server.c

concretly to the writeFileDescriptor ( int df, struct sbuf s ) function. It works as follows:

- iproute(&s) gives the first line of the output in the command line, that is: "Connected to <device>" or "Disconnected"

- In the case of a conneted state, netproc(&s) will give us the information about the network connection, the rest of the output in the command line.

I still didn't add the Mac address because the code (using "g_strdup_printf") requires Glib:

https://git.devuan.org/aitor_czr/simple-netaid/blob/master/backend_src/netstat.c

and i'm trying to avoid it (not for any specific reason).

  Needless to state, I am still using my version of
simple-netaid with its simple graphical interface. However, this does
not mean I will not consider better competitors.

We must think on the devuan project, we hate narcissism :)

Cheers,

Aitor.