I'm installing Ascii->Beowulf on a separate hard disk, but obviously
would like to make my current disk bootable as well.

I happen to do a bit of editing of /etc/fstab

  # nano /etc/ftab

When I try to save the edit:

  Error writing /etc/fstab: Read-only file system

Yet:

  # ls -la /etc/fstab
  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 6178 Jan 12  2019 /etc/fstab

Here's the problem:

  $ mount | grep sdb1
  /dev/sdb1 on / type ext4 (ro,relatime,errors=remount-ro,data=ordered)

So I did:

  # mount -o remount,rw /

This gives me:

  $ mount | grep sdb1
  /dev/sdb1 on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,data=ordered)

Maybe I can not install GRUB, But

  # grub-install
  bash: grub-install: command not found

I will run # e2fsck -p -f and then reboot and try to install Grub
again. But given a possble disk issue Safest is to concentrate on
getting my system working on the new disk before experimenting with
the old.

Incidentally, in pursuit of this problwm I encountered a site:
http://cdbug.org/file-system/linux-error-writing-read-only-file-system.php
The page title ls: "Linux Error Writing Read Only File System". A
pop-up that cannot be dismissed forces you to download a php automatic
repair utility before you can read read more of the page. What I did
read was that a reason for the error might be invalid entries in my
Windows registry. I suspected malware and ran away rather than
download the utility.

Haines Brown