On 2/19/20 10:23 AM, tom wrote:
On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 00:35:26 -0800
tom <t...@206-212-236-243.static.onlinenw.com> wrote:

Deprecated gksudo? Well thats pretty dumb. Any particular reason
Devuan doesn't just fish around for the old gksudo git repo and
continue that instead of dealing with this policykit mess of
complexity? You can allow users in your a group for example
'installers' to run synaptic by editing sudo's config like so:

%installers ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/synaptic

This Policykit stuff just seems like completely unneeded and unstable
cruft like systemd or pulseaudio.

Thank you for clarifying though. I'm going to see about getting it
working on Gentoo since I have more experience with ebuilds than I do
with Debian packaging currently.

Just found a drop-in replacement for gksudo. It's called lxqt-sudo.
https://github.com/lxqt/lxqt-sudo
It works pretty well.

Hi,

this one is nice! but it solves only partially the problem
of eventually removing policykit because most packages
like for example synaptic or network-manager have a
dependency on polkit or on libpolkit-gobject-1.
Replacing pkexec could be easily done with a wrapper
calling lxqt-sudo, but I cannot imagine what
debian packaging voodoo would be needed to
remove polkit, but for sure a lot of work.
It is hard to weed out over-complexity once
it slipped in.

Ciao,
Tito