Hi Steve,

Steve Litt writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm now at the stage where I need a firewall on my Devuan VM guest, and
> I don't know how to do it. I have the iptables package installed, and
> /usr/sbin/iptables is a command, but I have no idea where to go from
> there. Is there a file that iptables uses to define which ports are
> blocked?
>
> I'm used to iptables being a daemon, and that seems not to be the case
> in Devuan.

No, iptables is not a daemon.  It's just a utility to (re)configure the
rules used by the kernel.  It has been for as long as I know and that
goes over a decade back in time.

I have been hooking my iptables configuration into ifupdown.  Below is
the /etc/network/interfaces for my laptop.  I use it in combination with
netplug.  Do not uncomment the #allow-hotplug eth0 line.  Doing so leads
to a delay when booting.

  # interfaces(5) -- file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)

  # Only bring up the loopback interface automatically during boot.
  # Any other interfaces are handled by other software in a later stage
  # of the boot process or in reaction to interface (dis)connect events.

  auto lo

  # Loopback interface
  # This interface should be brought up first so that it can be used to
  # set up the system's packet filtering policy *before* any interfaces
  # become available.  To achieve this the `pre-up` phase is used.
  # The configuration below aims to implement a deny-all policy for all
  # but *sollicited* replies and `localhost` traffic first.

  iface lo inet loopback
        ##  Configure IPv4 packet filter policy
        pre-up  /sbin/iptables -P INPUT DROP
        pre-up  /sbin/iptables -A INPUT \
                    --match state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED \
                    --jump ACCEPT
        pre-up  /sbin/iptables -A INPUT \
                    --source 127.0.0.1/8 --destination 127.0.0.1/8 \
                    --jump ACCEPT
        down    /sbin/iptables -F INPUT

  iface lo inet6 loopback
        ##  Configure IPv6 packet filter policy
        pre-up  /sbin/ip6tables -P INPUT DROP
        pre-up  /sbin/ip6tables -A INPUT \
                    --match state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED \
                    --jump ACCEPT
        pre-up  /sbin/ip6tables -A INPUT \
                    --source ::1/128 --destination ::1/128 \
                    --jump ACCEPT
        down    /sbin/ip6tables -F INPUT

  # Primary wired interface

  #allow-hotplug eth0
  iface eth0 inet dhcp

I nuked the wireless interface bit for brevity as it doesn't relate to
setting up iptables.  For additional rules, see the iptables manual page
and the iptables-extensions manual page.

Other people may prefer using iptables-save/iptables-restore.  You could
hook those into /etc/network/interfaces instead.

Hope this helps,