On 25/05/2021 17:09, Tomasz Torcz wrote:
Dnia Tue, May 25, 2021 at 04:53:29PM +0100, Rowland penny via Dng napisał(a):
After installing it on an fresh Beowulf installation, it does not run
and to my knowledge will never be able to w/o systemd sockets.

IIRC, the policy is not to remove anything related, but use stubs and
let the user deal with half-broken software (ie. GNOME). Cockpit doesn't
(currently) have dependencies on systemd and it's modules, but it
requires a systemd socket to function. So, AFAICT, it is not even
partially usable.

Why would you want to remove something that works ?
   Have you seen Cockpit working on Devuan system?

Yes, I had it running on my old Samba AD DC's and I now have it running on a Devuan Unix domain member on my way to installing the Samba AD DC module.

There are minor problems, red-hat seems to think the only way to join to a domain is via realmd and sssd and you cannot use either with Samba >= 4.8.0

It just needs an init script.
  It's more than that. Cockpit uses systemd's API not only to listen on
network socket, but also to manage services and other stuff.
Just starting Cockpit without systemd requires helpers like
https://github.com/cockpit-project/cockpit/commit/777c59095af6147af487bf6a5aa76b915b2463d6
It probably not worth (or even feasible) reimplemnting all those APIs
for Cockpit.

You might be correct, but it works for what I require 😁

Rowland