Hi,
I have Alsa installed on Beowulf along with Steam and I guess there is some
Pulse stuff installed too. I also use Mumble to chat during game play. When I'm
playing Valheim, I can get sound in the game, but Mumble doesn't work.

Is this just a mis-configuration on my end, or does Also not "share" the audio
between applications?

I launch steam as the "game" user (using xhost+) to keep my regular home
directory and files segregated from whatever asshattery might happen from game
mods/applications/etc.

Maybe having two users access the Alsa sound devices is my problem? Installed
Alsa/Pulse packages and Alsa devices are below.

Thank you!

$ dpkg -l | egrep -i '(alsa|pulse)' | awk '{print $1"  "$2};'
ii  alsa-utils
ii  apulse:amd64
ii  gstreamer1.0-alsa:amd64
ii  gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio:amd64
ii  libasound2:amd64
ii  libasound2:i386
ii  libasound2-data
ii  libasound2-dev:amd64
ii  libasound2-plugins:amd64
ii  libasound2-plugins:i386
ii  libcanberra-pulse:amd64
ii  libpulse-dev:amd64
ii  libpulse-mainloop-glib0:amd64
ii  libpulse0:amd64
ii  libpulse0:i386
ii  libpulsedsp:amd64
ii  pavucontrol
ii  pulseaudio
ii  pulseaudio-utils
ii  xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin:amd64
ii  xmms2-plugin-alsa

$ aplay -L
null
jack
    JACK Audio Connection Kit
pulse
    PulseAudio Sound Server
default:CARD=PCH
    HDA Intel PCH, ALC889 Analog
    Default Audio Device
sysdefault:CARD=PCH
    HDA Intel PCH, ALC889 Analog
front:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, ALC889 Analog
    Front speakers
surround21:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, ALC889 Analog
    2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
surround40:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, ALC889 Analog
surround41:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, ALC889 Analog
surround50:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, ALC889 Analog
surround51:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, ALC889 Analog
surround71:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, ALC889 Analog
iec958:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, ALC889 Digital
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
dmix:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, ALC889 Analog
    Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=PCH,DEV=1
    HDA Intel PCH, ALC889 Digital
    Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, ALC889 Analog
    Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=PCH,DEV=1
    HDA Intel PCH, ALC889 Digital
    Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, ALC889 Analog
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=1
    HDA Intel PCH, ALC889 Digital
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, ALC889 Analog
    Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=PCH,DEV=1
    HDA Intel PCH, ALC889 Digital
    Hardware device with all software conversions
usbstream:CARD=PCH
    HDA Intel PCH
    USB Stream Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 1
    HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=2
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 2
    HDMI Audio Output
dmix:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 1
    Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=NVidia,DEV=8
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 2
    Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 1
    Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=NVidia,DEV=8
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 2
    Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 1
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=8
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 2
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 1
    Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=8
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 2
    Hardware device with all software conversions
usbstream:CARD=NVidia
    HDA NVidia
    USB Stream Output
default:CARD=Headset
    Logitech Wireless Headset, USB Audio
sysdefault:CARD=Headset
    Logitech Wireless Headset, USB Audio
front:CARD=Headset,DEV=0
    Logitech Wireless Headset, USB Audio
    Front speakers
surround21:CARD=Headset,DEV=0
    Logitech Wireless Headset, USB Audio
    2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
surround40:CARD=Headset,DEV=0
    Logitech Wireless Headset, USB Audio
surround41:CARD=Headset,DEV=0
    Logitech Wireless Headset, USB Audio
surround50:CARD=Headset,DEV=0
    Logitech Wireless Headset, USB Audio
surround51:CARD=Headset,DEV=0
    Logitech Wireless Headset, USB Audio
surround71:CARD=Headset,DEV=0
    Logitech Wireless Headset, USB Audio
dmix:CARD=Headset,DEV=0
    Logitech Wireless Headset, USB Audio
    Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=Headset,DEV=0
    Logitech Wireless Headset, USB Audio
    Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=Headset,DEV=0
    Logitech Wireless Headset, USB Audio
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=Headset,DEV=0
    Logitech Wireless Headset, USB Audio
    Hardware device with all software conversions
usbstream:CARD=Headset
    Logitech Wireless Headset
    USB Stream Output

$ cat /home/game/.asoundrc