On 8/24/21 00:25, dva...@internode.on.net wrote:
   I hope that interests someone. It's not often that an opportunity
   to espouse the original text Swiss army knife presents itself.

It is, thanks for the awk info!

I first encountered awk on Solaris in the late 90s in a mixed environment of
Linux, AIX and Solaris. I believe this is where the tic in my left eyelid comes
from. Trying to keep scripts portable between those three systems tuned my
shell-fu in ways which are not efficient. I'm afraid my bad habits are still
there but I *will* take credit for getting out of the habit of piping cats :D