On 8/31/21 11:02, g4sra via Dng wrote:
<snip,snip,snip>

ctl.!default {
type hw
card 0
}
Check to make sure you do not have a ~/.asoundrc overriding /etc/asound.conf

Good thought, and have checked this. Especially relevant with the multi-user
situation. I will check on the other enlightening ALSA suggestions you have
made.

<snip>

get user_one's cookie:
user_one# xauth -n list localhost/unix:0
localhost/unix:0  MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1  83c12a394ac0c5afe1fee0a973b9e49g

then give the cookie to user_two:
user_two# xauth add localhost/unix:0  MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1
83c12a394ac0c5afe1fee0a973b9e49g

now 'user_two' can access the GUI (you may need to set DISPLAY):
user_two# DISPLAY=:0 /usr/bin/apulse /home/apps/firefox/firefox -ProfileManager

Thank you for this! I have always used 'xhost +' and drop TCP 6000 (eth0) on the host
firewall (on my "single-user" workstation anyway). I've tried to find more
secure ways to share the X cookie but for one reason or another, they never worked out. I
will try this!