Le 09/01/2022 à 13:23, Benjamin Riefenstahl a écrit :
Hi Didier,

Didier Kryn writes:
But the launchers are to be installed/uninstalled by every user in
their own ~/.local
benny wrote:
What happens, if you add another user after installation?  AFAIU default
launchers should be in a global place.
Didier Kryn writes:
     We want to install files only under /usr/local, and, for
Freedesktop.org, there's no other global place than
/usr/share/applications. Full point (AFAIK). I agree with you it's not
very clever.
Oh, you mean, the installer would tell the users to install the desktop
files themself, via xdg-install-icon?  I don't think that works very
well.
    Just cp '/usr/local/share/applications/foobar.desktop ~/.local/applications/'     The installer script certainly would not. But the admin might suggest them to.

Anyway,
<https://specifications.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry-spec-latest.html>
says that /usr/local/share/applications should work fine, so there
should be no problem.

   Good finding. Actually in my session XDG_DATA_DIRS is set as you write. It seems it is set in /etc/alternatives/x-session-manager.

    Still one point has not been discussed yet: the config file is currently in /etc .

    The Linux Foundation suggests it should be put in /usr/local/etc (https://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs/ch04s09.html

    So it seems everything is clear now. Thanks to all. I will make the software install in /usr/local. DO you fiond this satisfactory Hendrik?

--     Didier