On Sun, Jan 30, 2022 at 8:14 AM Simon <li...@thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:

> Joel Roth via Dng <dng@lists.dyne.org> wrote:
>
> > My problem is connecting via dhcp over ethernet.  On IRC
> > I was advised to try
> >
> > ping ff02::1%eth1
> >
> > which fails to get a response, indicating IPv6 is not enabled in my client.
> >
> > I tried setting "iface eth1 inet6 dhcp" in /etc/network/interfaces,
> > then "ifup eth1".  This fails with
> >
> > no link-local IPv6 address for eth1
> >
> > References suggest that "ifconfig eth1 up" or "ip link set dev eth1 up"
> > will trigger the kernel to assign an IPv6 address. Since
> > this is not happening, I'm asking the wisdom of the list VUAs
> > how to enable IPv6 for this port.
>
> You don’t actually need DHCP to configure IPv6.
snip
> As an aside, and not specifically in response to either of the above emails,
> I recommend the certification scheme run by HE at
> https://ipv6.he.net/certification/, and if your ISP doesn’t yet offer IPv6,
> then their tunnel service will provide you with good IPv6 connectivity. It’s
> true that there is some learning you need to do for IPv6, but this course
> will take you through things in steps - start with the basics and work up to
> the more complicated stuff. The only bit I thought was a p.i.t.a. is a stage
> where you have to provide ping and traceroute results to 100 different IPv6
> destinations over 100 days. The hardest part if finding 100 different
> destinations - at the time I did it, I did some grepping of DNS server logs
> at work to find them ;-)

Not only do I want to echo mr Joel but for mr Simon.
This gives great information - - - all together AND in a fashion that
I think I may even be understanding this.
Please would you fashion perhaps 2 or three more messages for
intermediate and maybe even extend this into more of the
'advanced' networking country.

I am not needing ipv6 at present but likely this spring fiber optics
are happening (finally some decent speed options) and they are
in the process of moving to ipv6 likely within a year or so. I would
prefer to know at least some more before I 'need' it.

TIA