On 4/8/22 16:12, radisson via Dng wrote:

Am 02.12.21 um 23:17 schrieb Marjorie Roome via Dng:
Hi Haines,

On Sun, 2021-11-28 at 15:12 -0500, Haines Brown wrote:
I have bsd-lpr. I can print a text file with landscape orientation
with  $ lpr -o landscape file.txt

My problem is that I cannot print pdf files in landscape
orientation. $ lpr -o landscape file.pdf does nothing.

you need some utility programm
the print spooler will only transferinformation
the -o opition will be transfered to a filter programm (if configured)

https://unix-stackexchange-com.translate.goog/questions/394065/command-line-how-do-you-rotate-a-pdf-file-90-degrees?_x_tr_sl=en&_x_tr_tl=de&_x_tr_hl=de&_x_tr_pto=sc

alternative you can make a ps (pdf2ps) and use pstops from psutils.

hope that helps,

I don't want to make landscape the default CUPS orientation.

Atril rotates the display of the PDF, but not the content of the
file in relation to the page when printed.

The qpdfview utility also can rotate the display of text but
when printed the effect is simply move  text up on the page.

I don't see how poppler-utils can be of help.

How does one print a PDF with landscape orientattion?

Isn't the page orientation used encoded in the pdf?

To change it, other than by shrinking the page down so it fits on the
paper in landscape orientation I think you would need to use a pdf
editor to reflow the content.

If you have a document or image that you are converting to a pdf then
if you format the document or image landscape then the exported pdf
will also be landscape.

atril -- believe it is installed by default. Very easy to use and it works.