From: Christian Huitema [huit...@huitema.net]
Sent: Friday, 3 June 2016 19:26
To: 'Paul Wouters'; Hugo Maxwell Connery
Cc: dns-privacy@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [dns-privacy] Deployment issues

On Thursday, June 2, 2016 3:50 PM, Paul Wouters wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Jun 2016, Hugo Maxwell Connery wrote:
>
> > so, lets get 8.8.8.8 running TLS DNS as a push.
> >
> > Hang on, they are a sruveillence/advertising business!  No problem, it
> > is just they who can surveill.
>
> It still makes sense to reduce the number of people that can read your DNS
> requests, just like it makes sense to use https to google.com.

Yes. And we have an interesting issue with the size of the service. In
theory, anybody could set up a recursive resolver somewhere on the Internet,
and provide privacy services using RFC7858. For example, I could set
something like "private-resolver.huitema.net" on a server that I control.
The traffic to that resolver would be duly encrypted. I may even implement
counter measures in the server to make it hard to guess the actual queries
relayed by the resolver. And then, I could program my laptop to always use
that resolver. But then, in the name of privacy, I would have just built the
opposite, a tracking beacon. There is exactly one user for
"private-resolver.huitema.net." Tracking traffic there provides a pretty
good indication on the movements of my laptop.

Even if the service had a few hundred or a few thousands customers instead
of just one, we would still have a traffic effect. Tracking that access
narrows the search to these few thousands customers. That's a pretty good
identifier. So here we are, with one leg of the dilemma: use small servers
for RFC 7858 allows tracking of the users.

Now, if we have big servers, we do not have the same issue. If 15% of the
Internet uses 8.8.8.8, tracking that narrows the search space to something
like 150 million users. Not a very big deal. But then, we have the other leg
of the dilemma. Even if the provider of 8.8.8.8 is trying to not be evil,
they are big, and thus they are a fat big target. They have to abide by
every censorship and tracking requirements in the country in which they do
business. They can receive secret letters from the security services
compelling them to do some evil stuff. They can be the target of hacks by
state sponsored "cyber warriors." They could even at some point get
pressured to show revenues for the service, and start engaging in data
mining.

So, yes, we do have a problem. Either small and cuddly and easy to track. Or
big and robust and a target for hacks and threats. That's better than
nothing in the short term, but we should not stop there.

-- Christian Huitema