Paul Wouters <p...@nohats.ca> wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Nov 2020, Tony Finch wrote:
>
> > Any serious attempt at improving delegations needs to deal convincingly
> > with the quesion of why support for CDS, CDNSKEY, and CSYNC is so
> > appallingly bad.
>
> Because IETF does not enforce sunsets of old stuff. The market has no
> strong reason to move to support this new stuff, as there is a first
> mover disadvantage with too many players. Look at Cloudflare, who is
> very willing to do all these new things, and they are stuck with old
> software/people at (sub)Registrars and Registries.
>
> This is also why DNSSEC is not ubiquitous.

Yes, but I don't mean answer the question of what the difficulties are (we
know the answers, I hope), I mean "deal with", counteract or avoid the
difficulties. Any new work needs to be deployable: the IETF is supposed to
be about running code, after all. If a proposal is heading in a direction
that we know from past experience is not likely to be successful, then it
needs a really solid argument why this time will be different.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <d...@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/
Sole, Lundy, Fastnet: West or northwest 6 to gale 8, occasionally severe gale