Eric Arnoldy wrote:
Hey All,

I've looked everywhere and can't seem to find mention of it, but does
dnsmasq support DHCP addresses being handed out in numerical order?

No.

I want the first box connected to get .100, then 101 for the next one
and so forth.  I see there is some logic in there to check and see if
its already been taken, but from what I see here, the addresses that I
get appear to be random.

It's not random: the address is derived from the start and end addresses of the address pool and a hash of the MAC address. This means that a given host will (nearly) always be offered the same address, without dnsmasq having to keep track of the addresses allocated in the past to hosts which don't have a lease right now.

The alternatives are it to keep a much bigger database which has historical information about all leases offered to all hosts for all time (ISC), or not to attempt to give hosts stable addresses at all (udhcpd). I thought the hash-function trick was a particularly neat alternative.

I am specifying a start and end for the pool using the dhcp-range, but
I guess thats just possible addresses, not where it will acutally
start giving out addresses.

Anyhelp, or assistance in this matter would be much apprecieated.

If you really want to, you can patch the code, but I'm not convinced that the gains outweigh the losses.

Cheers,

Simon.

Thank you!
Eric Arnoldy