Quoting xerces8 <xerc...@butn.net>:

"Heath Woodson" <heathwood...@gmail.com> wrote:

Setting this up for the first time and I have a simple question but it isnt
clearly answered anywhere. I want to assign ips with DHCP in a static manner
can I just use the /etc/host file on the machine running dnsmasq to do this
and uncomment this line
# Enable the address given for "judge" in /etc/hosts
# to be given to a machine presenting the name "judge" when
# it asks for a DHCP lease.
#dhcp-host=judge

I do that by having lines like this in dnsmasq.conf :

dhcp-host=judge,192.168.100.41

I tried to do this by putting the entries in /etc/hosts,
but it did not work for some reason.
Simon, can you help ? Is there an option needed to enable this ?

That is: no dhcp-host=xxx line in dnsmasq.conf, but a line in /etc/hosts:
192.168.100.41 judge

Regards,
David

It only works if you have the entry in /etc/hosts AND and entry in dnsmasq.conf telling dnsmasq to read /etc/hosts where appropriate.

Meaning that the dhcp-host= lines are required.