I recently (a few weeks ago) installed dnsmasq on my xubuntu 8.10
system, it appears to work pretty well in general but a problem is
appearing which *seems* to be related to when I started using dnsmasq.

What happens is that, occasionally, after accessing a particular web
site many times, access to that web site hangs. All further access to
the web site also results (eventually) in a time-out message.  This is
not just one particular web site.  I first noticed it when searching
for accomodation on various French web sites but today I got the same
problem when hunting around www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk.

The problem is specific to my desktop machine (the xubuntu one) which
is the one which is running dnsmasq.  When a web site is hung on my
machine it's perfectly accessible from browsers on other machines on
the same subnet/LAN and using the same router.  However IE within a
virtual machine on my machine *can't* access the hung web site.

The last time this occurred I tried restarting dnsmasq and it seemed
to fix the immediate problem, I got a few successful accesses to the
web site that had stuck.  This is what leads me to believe I (maybe)
have a dnsmasq problem.

My /etc/dnsmasq.conf file has only the following lines (apart from
comments):-

    domain-needed
    bogus-priv

    expand-hosts
    domain=isbd.net
    dhcp-range=192.168.1.80,192.168.1.150,1h

    dhcp-option=3,192.168.1.1

/etc/resolv.conf is:-

    nameserver 127.0.0.1
    nameserver 195.74.113.58
    nameserver 195.74.113.62

That's about it, pretty standard dnsmaq installation.

Does anyone have any ideas what may be wrong, ways to diagnose it, or
whatever?

--
Chris Green