On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 11:31 AM,  <dnsmasq.to.pee...@spamgourmet.com> wrote:
> dnsmasq.conf has a line:
>
> dhcp-range=192.168.0.50,192.168.0.150,255.255.255.0,12h
>
> (hostmin,hostmax,netmask,leasetime)
>
> If I enable that line, must the dnsmasq server itself be outside that range?
>
> Ie, for the dnsmasq server:
>  192.168.0.55 on the LAN interface would be wrong
> but
>  192.168.0.45 would be ok.

In my experience, dnsmasq is smart enough to not give out its own
address, or any addresses mentioned in dhcp-host lines (except to the
computer to which it is reserved).

It may be confusing, because your address pool is smaller than the
dhcp-range suggests, and you'll have fewer leases than expected when
dhcp starts failing, but dnsmasq won't do anything so broken as giving
away its own address.