richardvo...@gmail.com on 25/01/10 21:14, wrote:
On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 12:20 PM, Adam Hardy
<adam....@cyberspaceroad.com> wrote:
I've got a gateway server running dnsmasq for dhcp on my LAN and I've got a
couple of problems with the host names of the dhcp clients.

The first is a Belkin print server which picks up its ip address and passes thro
its hostname MFD8FDC7. This appears in dnsmasq.leases - so I should be able to
communicate with it now, right?

There must be something missing from my dnsmasq config because I see now that
any attempt to use the host names of dhcp clients from the gateway server fail
with " unknown host ...". I'm on debian stable if that makes any difference

Sounds like your gateway is not using dnsmasq for lookups.  dnsmasq
tells dhcp clients to use its services, but the gateway you will have
to manually configure in /etc/resolv.conf to send requests to the
local dnsmasq process.

I mistakenly included the /etc/hosts file instead of the /etc/resolv.conf file
which would have been far more informative re this problem.

It looks like this:

adam@isengard:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
domain isengard.localdomain
search isengard.localdomain